• General Surgery
• Gastrointestinal/Endoscopy Procedures
• Cesarean Sections
• The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario,(CPSO)
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick, (CPSNB)
• Nunavut Health Authority
• Northwest Territories Health
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia, (CPSNS)
• Accredited Court Interpreter, Farsi language, MAG, 2/1989
ASSOCIATIONS & OBJECTIVE:
• General Surgeon (MD) with 30+ years of experience, performing
• Complex surgeries, leading & managing teams, education & training, and effective
• Communication, seeking a challenging position where a commitment to excellence in patient-centred care and healthcare delivery will lead to improving patient outcomes.
• Assistant Professor Memorial University, NL, Division of Clinical Sciences, Department of Surgery – 6/2017-PRES
• Assistant Professor Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Division of Clinical Sciences, Department of Surgery -10/2012-PRES
• Assistant Professor Adjunct Dalhousie University, NL & NB -10/2017-PRES
• Locum General Surgeon Various Hospitals, Locations: Ontario, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, & • Nunavut 3/2010-PRES
• Staff General Surgeon, Riverside Health Care Facilities & La Verendrye Hospital, Fort Frances, Ontario -8/2012-9/2014
• Staff General Surgeon, Aberdeen Hospital, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia -7/2010-1/2012
• Staff General Surgeon, Dryden Regional Health Centre, Dryden, Ontario -9/2002-7/2010
• Staff General Surgeon, Thunder Bay Regional Health Centre, Thunder Bay, Ontario -9/1998-9/2002
• Assistant in Pediatric Surgeon, Children’s Hospital of Western, Ontario, London, Ontario -7/1998-9/1998
• General Surgery Resident London Health Sciences Centre, Western University (formally the University of Western Orlando), London, Ontario -9/1993-7/1998
• Research Associate, Emphasis: Bariatric Surgery, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto, Ontario, 9/1989-7/1992
• Intern University of Tehran Hospitals & Clinics, Tehran, Iran -9/1986-6/1988
• Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 10/2009
• Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, (FRCSC), 8/1998
• Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada, (LMCC), 1/1996
• Licentiate of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, (ECFMGUSA), Score: Clinical (85)/Sciences (90)
• Licentiate of the Federation Licensing Examination, (FLEXUSA)/Passed all sections
• Best Teaching Resident Award, General Surgery Residency Program, Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario, 10/1993
• Partners in Excellence Award, Dryden Regional Health Centre, Dryden, Ontario, 10/ 2003
• Community Business Excellence Award (Runnerup), “Service to Health Care” section, Dryden, Ontario, 4/ 2005
• Performed the first Laparoscopic Colectomy procedure in Dryden, Ontario, 3/2009
RESEARCH, PRESENTATIONS, & PUBLICATIONS
• Deitel M, Shahi B. Deitel F. Effect of Weight Loss in the Morbidly Obese Patient with Severe Disability. Obesity Surgery 1991; 1:419-21. Quoted in Sabiston’s
Textbook of Surgery, 7th edition.
• Shahi B. Harris R, Deitel M. An Apparatus for Visualizing and Videotaping Obesity Operations. Obesity Surgery 1991; 1:195-7.
• Yamen M, Deitel M, Burul CJ, Shahi B. Foreign Bodies in Rectum. Canadian Journal of Surgery 1993; 36:173-7.
• Shahi B, Deitel K. Deitel WL. Legal Aspects of Euthanasia. University of Toronto Medical Journal 1992; 26-9
• Deitel M. Shahi B. Morbid Obesity: selection of patients for surgery. J Am Clin Nutr 1992; 11:497-502
• Deitel M, Shahi B. Vertical Banded Gastroplasty and Gastric Bypass: long-term results. Abstract presented at Symposium on Surgery for Obesity, Royal Society of Medicine, Wimpole St., London, England.
• Deitel M, Krajden S, Shahi B. Mortellaro M. Microorganisms in the Stomach During Vertical Banded Gastroplasty.Obesity Surgery1991;1:79-81.
• Deitel M, Leekam R, Shankar L, Salsberg BB, Shahi B. Mortellaro LM. Radiological Features after Vertical Banded Gastroplasty. Obesity Surgery 1991;
• Shahi B. Khalil M, O’Mally FP, Doig GS, Engel CJ. Prognostic Significance of Tumor Angiogenesis in Node-Negative Colorectal Cancer.
Abstract presented at Residents Research Day, May 1996, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario.
• Shahi B. Rajasingham M, Schmidt J, Leslie KA. Pain Management and Homecare in One-Day- Stay Patients Undergoing Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
or Hernia Repair. Abstract presented at Residents Research Day, May 1997, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario.
• Shahi B. Gosselin M, Deitel M. Short Bowel Syndrome: Current Concepts. Sandoz Symposium, June 1992.
• Shahi B, Proglowski B, Deitel M. Sleep-Related Diseases in the Obese. Obesity Surgery 1992.
• Ultrasound for General Surgeons Course, ACS, 10/2005
• Laparoscopic Colectomy Course, Part 1, ACS, 10/2008
• Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Symposium, Ethicon Winnipeg, MB, 8/2009
• Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Workshop, Ethicon, Halifax, NS, 10/2010
• Medical Education in Aboriginal Communities, NOSM, 5/2005
• Negotiation & Conflict Management: Vital Skills for Success, Physician Management Institute, CMA, 10/2007
• TOEFL-USA, Score: 663 (11/1990) & 660-CPSO Administered, (10/1990)
• TSE-USA, Score: 293/300, 11/1990