What is Fat Grafting?
Fat grafting, fat transfer, or fat injection is a procedure that transfers the fat of an area of the body to another to improve or augment the site where the fat is injected. This procedure includes liposuction to extract adipose fat and reinject it to the area which needs improvement.
This procedure is used to improve the cosmetic appearance of the breast, face, feet, hands, thighs, and buttocks.
Why Grand Genesis?
Largest Private Plastic Surgery Centre in Ontario
2 Fully Equipped Operating Rooms – 15 Recovery Beds for Overnight Stays
15 Plastic Surgeons (Guest & In house) – 30 Nurses
VERY SHORT waiting times for Consult & Surgery
Fat Grafting Surgery Done by Following Surgeons:
Click on the image to read more about him and his background.
Price & Cost
Price range: $10,000 – $12,000. Our surgeon can give you an exact estimate of the cost after examination & talking with you.
Who is a Good Candidate?
You are a good candidate for fat grafting if:
- • You have sufficient fat in the donor sites
- • You are physically healthy.
- • You don’t smoke or can quit smoking for several weeks before and after the procedure.
- • You have realistic expectations.
- • You are not pregnant or nursing currently.
- • You have enough information about this procedure.
The fat grafting procedure consists of three parts:
- • Fat extraction from the donor site by liposuction. (Harvesting)
You and your surgeon will select the part of the body for fat removal. It needs a local anesthetic. Then the surgeon extracts fat using a sterile method (a cannula that is connected to a syringe) carefully by a small incision in that part. (liposuction).
- • Pour out, centrifugation, and processing of the fat. (Processing and purifying)
The extracted fat from the donor site will be processed and prepared to transfer to small syringes. Using a centrifuge to spin or filtering, the fat transfers to a purified fat, ready to inject into the area that needs improvement.
- • Transfer and Reinject the fat into the area which needs improvement and augmentation. (Placement)
The fat will be injected into the area designated to receive the graft by a needle or cannula into the area that needs augmentation. The surgeon will repeat the process until he achieves the desired correction, maybe in more than one session.
The recovery process is two types such as early and long-term recovery. Early recovery is a short time recovery(within 48 hours after the procedure). After that, you can go back to your everyday life and activities. In long-term recovery, it needs between 2 weeks to 6 weeks after the surgery depending on the intensity of the procedure. It is essential to have some follow-up appointments to heal entirely very soon.
The good news is that complications in fat grafting are rare. This procedure is generally with no severe problems. There are some of the possible complications that might occur in all surgeries, such as:
- • side effects of anesthesia
- • Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- • Infection
- • Sensation changes
- • Scarring
- • Allergic reactions
- • Underlying structures damages
- • Poor results require additional procedures
You can reduce the possible risks by following the advice and directions of your surgeon before and after the procedure.
Leave A Comment