Who is a good candidate?
Usually, women seek hymenoplasty due to cultural and religious issues. In most cases, a divorced person loses her virginity as a result of a marital relationship and wants to restore it before marriage. Some women are born without a hymen.
In some cases, the hymen is destroyed due to asexual activity, but still, due to religious or social norms, hymen repair is necessary for the person.
You are a good candidate for Hymenoplasty if:
- You have lost your virginity due to sex or other activities.
- You are over 18 years old.
- You are healthy and do not have any serious illness.
- A gynecological examination determines your hymen is repairable.
- You don’t have genital cancer or a sexually transmitted disease.
Main technique: In this method, if the hymen remains, it is connected. Local anesthesia, or sometimes general anesthesia, is used to prevent pain and discomfort. The surgeon then sutures the torn parts. Sutures are soluble. The whole surgery takes about 30 to 40 minutes and is usually performed on an outpatient basis.
Allopant Surgery technique: This method is followed when the remnants of the hymen cannot be connected. The surgeon inserts a biological substance into the vagina, which acts as a hymen. This surgery takes about two hours and under local anesthesia.
Hymen Reconstruction: In this procedure, the surgeon creates a new hymen using tissue at the edges of the vagina. In this method, the patient should not have a marital relationship for at least three months.
The patient is monitored for several hours after treatment and is discharged if there are no side effects. The person can return to work after 3 to 4 days. However, it is recommended to start moderate activities after 10 days.
Some other instructions include the following:
- You should keep the area clean and take antibiotics to prevent infection.
- To reduce pain and swelling, you can use hot and cold compresses.
- You can take a bath 2 to 3 days after surgery.
- You should not have sex for up to 8 weeks after the operation.
- Complete recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks.
Some of the side effects of hymenoplasty include the following:
Swelling, pain, and bruising after surgery
- Hematoma and bleeding
- Skin discoloration
- Lack of sense
However, these side effects are minor and the medical team ensures that steps are taken to prevent these problems and reduce discomfort.