In this article, we will discuss breast augmentation surgery in detail. From the definition and types of prostheses, their advantages and disadvantages to pre-and post-surgery care. Stay with us.| Breast Augmentation | Grand Genesis Plastic Surgery | Toronto
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation surgery is a safe, minimally invasive cosmetic procedure. It will take from one to two hours under general anesthesia. However, before preparing for this surgery, the person should attend a consultation session with his/her surgeon. The surgeon could specify items such as different breast augmentation methods, the size, and type of prosthesis based on the shape of the body.
According to the breast’s width, doctors usually choose the prosthesis type and evaluate the soft tissue covering of the breast and the breast tissue.
In Breast augmentation surgery, the surgeon makes incisions in three different places to insert the prosthesis: the armpit, the halo around the breast (the tissue around the nipple), the navel, or the crease under the breast. He/she puts the prosthesis into the body after making an incision in the top or bottom of the chest wall muscle. The body holds the prosthesis in place and prevents it from moving under the skin. The surgeon closes the incision and places the suture in position.
How Long Does Breast Augmentation Last?
Despite the durability of breast prostheses, these prostheses are not permanent and wear out over time. Usually, the outer shell of the breast augmentation becomes old and thin over time and eventually disappears. However, it is clinically difficult to diagnose this erosion.
Women athletes, especially aerobic trainers, marathon runners, riders, etc., are more likely to wear and tear their breast prostheses than those who are less active. For this reason, if you have had breast augmentation surgery, it is necessary to be examined by a specialist 10 to 15 years after the operation.
Who Can Have Breast Augmentation?
- People who have lost all or part of their breasts due to severe illnesses such as cancer.
- Those who are born with asymmetrically shaped breasts.
- Women who have only one breast due to a congenital disability.
- Women with small breasts because of hormonal, genetic, excessive weight loss, or malnutrition.
- Women whose breast tissue has shrunk due to aging, pregnancy, and breastfeeding have sagging breasts due to severe weight loss.
Cost of Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation surgery is one of the cosmetic surgeries. Therefore it is not covered by health insurance. On the other hand, the breast augmentation surgery cost varies depending on factors such as the surgeon’s skill, reputation, and the type of prosthesis used.
Complications of breast augmentation
Breast augmentation surgery is a safe, minimally invasive procedure performed by a skilled surgeon. However, breast augmentation surgery, like all surgeries, has potential complications. You can still minimize the possibility of complications if you follow the pre-surgery preparation, principled post-surgery care. Therefore, it is better to know enough about the possible complications after breast augmentation surgery.
Some possible complications include:
- The unacceptable appearance of the surgical incision site;
- Bleeding and accumulation of blood (hematoma);
- Wound detachment;
- Asymmetry of the breasts;
- Improper placement of the prosthesis in place;
- Delay in the healing of the surgical incision;
- Changes in the sensation of the breast and nipple that may be temporary or permanent;
- Create a thick capsule around the prosthesis;
- Leakage or rupture of the prosthesis wall;
- Wrinkling of the skin on the prosthesis;
- Complications of general anesthesia;
- Accumulation of fluid around the prosthesis;
- Continuous pain;
- Displacement of prostheses in different directions;
- dissatisfaction with the beauty and result of the action;
- Blood clots in the arteries that may cause heart and lung problems;
- Possibility of need for reoperation.
Some patients lose their sensation entirely after the breast augmentation surgery; others experience only a slight decrease in breast sensation, and in some cases, even an increase in feeling. However, all of these symptoms improve over time, and full recovery usually takes 18 months.
Is Breast Augmentation Worth it?
After reviewing all kinds of possible risks, maybe these will ring a bell, “Is breast augmentation worth it??” You will be pleased to know that according to many women’s opinions, thanks to better self-confidence, life after breast augmentation is positive for them. Although it took time for them to get used to new breasts, for most women, this is a new, more positive experience after breast augmentation.
Breast Augmentation and Breastfeeding
Even though you have had a breast augmentation, the problem is that the healthy, old breast tissue is still in place, so the ducts are still in place. Thus, a breast augmentation, whether placed under the breast muscle or in the breast tissue, does not affect breastfeeding in women.
However, if the surgeon makes an incision around the areola, several milk ducts may be cut off due to the breast augmentation, and breastfeeding might be affected; the amount of milk produced and how breastfeeding is done. For this reason, plastic surgeons often prefer to make the incision needed to place the prosthesis in the breast tissue under the breast. So, in addition to less damage to breast tissue, there is no disruption to breastfeeding. However, it is better to have a breast augmentation after pregnancy and breastfeeding.
How Soon to Have a Breast Augmentation After Nursing?
Typically, it depends on different features which the surgeon can help you with, but three to six months after breastfeeding has finished is the time to consider, as each woman is different, this is not just general advice, not for all of the women.
Can We Get aTan After a Breast Augmentation?
The problem is that sunbathing or using solarium will not damage the prosthesis. It would be best to avoid direct sunlight or solar radiation to the surgical incision for a year as it will make the scar and incision darker. On the other hand, it is good to know that because breast augmentation loses its heat later than other parts of the body, it may feel that the prosthesis has softened after using the solarium. Therefore, it is recommended not to use the solarium and sunbathe for a few months after the operation.
What Steps to Do Before Having a Breast Augmentation?
If you have decided to have a breast augmentation and are taking certain medications, be sure to inform your doctor before performing the breast augmentation operation so that there is no disruption in the surgical process and afterward. Sometimes the patient must stop taking certain medications or change the prescription. Also, aspirin, aspirin products, anti-inflammatory drugs, and herbal supplements should discontinue ten days before breast augmentation surgery. It is necessary to perform specific tests and mammograms directed by your doctor before having a breast augmentation. If you are a smoker, quit smoking two weeks before the operation.
Postoperative Care of Breast Augmentation (First Two Weeks)
- Do not sleep on your stomach or side to rest or sleep. Lying on your back causes the prosthesis (implant) to be in the best position during the recovery period. Do not sleep on your stomach at all. You can sleep on your side for two weeks after the operation.
- Your doctor will prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection and painkillers from reducing pain. To avoid possible infection, be sure to take antibiotics regularly and use painkillers if you feel pain.
- In breast augmentation surgery, incisions are made with sutures or surgical adhesive. The stitches are absorbent and are absorbed after 10 to 14 days. After that, a daily massage of the wound or a silicone sheet can remove the stitches. If the sutures are not absorbable, the doctor will remove them one week after the operation.
- Do not exercise too much in the first week after breast augmentation surgery. Activities such as combing hair or removing light objects are unobstructed. Note that inactivity makes your body dry and stiff.
- Your surgeon will usually prescribe a “medical bra” after the operation. The medical bra acts as a dressing to keep the breasts and prostheses in the best condition. Wear your medical bra full time for 6 to 12 weeks, even while sleeping.
- After a breast augmentation, your breasts may tighten, or you may develop bruising on your skin, which is normal and part of the healing process.
Necessary Care For Six to Twelve Weeks After Breast Augmentation Surgery
Putting the prosthesis in place is a gradual process and is usually done 6 to 12 weeks after the operation.
- Avoid smoking for up to three weeks after surgery.
- If you drive, you are allowed to drive after stopping painkillers. Remember to lower the steering wheel below the chest muscles not to put pressure on the chest muscles.
- Avoid lifting, pushing, or pulling heavy objects, chest exercises, and upper body exercises. After two weeks, you can walk, run, or do lower body exercises.
- Chest muscle cramps (pectoralis) or chest pain are normal after several weeks of surgery and indicate that the muscle’s nerves are healing.
- Gently massage your breasts for two weeks after surgery.
Performing circular motions with gentle pressure using lotion can be useful in reducing swelling. Wound lotions can also be effective in removing and diminishing scars.
See your doctor if you notice signs of infection such as fever or redness at the incision site.
How to See a Doctor After Breast Augmentation Surgery?
After Breast augmentation surgery, your doctor will schedule an appointment for you at regular intervals. However, if you encounter the following in the meantime, be sure to see your doctor.
- Increased swelling and bruising at the surgical site;
- Increased redness at the surgical incision site;
- A foul-smelling discharge from the wound or bleeding from the injury does not stop with the pressure of the dressing.
- Having a feeling of lethargy and extreme weakness;
- Having severe pain that does not go away with prescribed painkillers;
- Allergy to drugs or intolerance to medicines;
- Incidence of fever and oral temperature above 38 degrees;
- Feeling short of breath, chest pain, or abnormal heartbeat.
The Link Between Breast Augmentation and Cancer
Studies have not yet found a link between prosthesis implantation and the development of breast cancer, autoimmune diseases, and other systemic diseases. There is currently no conclusive evidence that cancer is diagnosed in women with prosthetics at a more advanced stage. On the other hand, breast prostheses’ biggest concern is the possibility of delaying the diagnosis of breast cancer with silicone and saline breast prostheses because these materials do not pass radiation and therefore prevent the primary breast tissue from being seen during mammography.
However, with the advancement of mammography techniques in recent years, radiologists have been able to see parts of the primary breast tissue hidden beneath the breast augmentation and diagnose cancerous tissue. However, doctors believe that it is best to avoid breast augmentation for a lower risk if you have a family history of breast cancer.
How Can Breast Implant Surgery Improve Quality of Life?
Breast Implant Surgery is a perfect solution to restore one or two breasts’ natural appearance and symmetry after any breast injuries.
Breast Augmentation After Breast Cancer
Breast implant surgery is performed in different ways in women who have undergone surgery to treat breast cancer. To decide which breast reconstruction and implant method works best for you, a number of factors such as your health status and personal preferences must be considered. We recommend that you study the available treatment options before deciding on a breast implant.
The purpose of breast implants is to restore the natural appearance and symmetry of one or two breasts after mastectomy (cutting and removing the breast or part of it), lumpectomy (removal of breast cancer and some of the tissue around the cancerous glands), or other breast injuries.
Breast Augmentation Color
One of the concerns of people who intend to have Breast augmentation surgery is that the color of artificial breast prostheses is as close as possible to their skin’s natural glow. Although prosthetics manufacturers make every effort to create prostheses close to the skin color and even offer custom prostheses at the customer’s request, there is usually a slight difference in color between the body’s natural skin and the breast after the surgery. How many incisions are there for breast augmentation surgery?
1. Incision in the crease under the breast;
2. Cut around the halo;
3. Axillary incision;
4. The incision around the umbilicus is done in exceptional cases.
Types of Breast Implant Procedures
Breast implantation is done through several processes and in stages. This surgery can be performed at the same time as or after the mastectomy. Breast implants are often divided into breast reconstruction through prosthesis implantation and breast reconstruction using flaps.
Breast reconstruction is done by implanting a breast prosthesis to create a new bulge and breast in the breast area. However, tissues from other parts of the patient’s body are used to create a new breast in the flap reconstruction method. Sometimes these two methods are used in combination with each other to get the best results. Sometimes nipple reconstruction or breast areola is used to make the implanted breast look more natural.
Several factors must be considered when deciding on the best treatment options. These factors include:
- Type of mastectomy (breast removal and incision)
- Treatments for breast cancer
- Anatomy of the patient’s body
Treatment Results of Breast Implant Surgery
The final results of breast implant surgery can reduce the negative physical and psychological effects of mastectomy. Over time, some sensation in the breast may return, and the scar may heal surgically, but these effects do not disappear completely.
Performing breast implant surgery procedures has side effects. But most women ignore these effects due to the huge improvement in their quality of life and overall feeling and appearance. Careful breast examination by the patient, mammography, and the use of diagnostic techniques is essential to improve the patient’s long-term health.
What are the Different Brands of Prostheses?
What is the best brand of breast prosthesis?
Mentor prosthesis is one of the best brands of breast prosthesis in Toronto. A Mentor breast prosthesis is provided for the patient by a mentor prosthesis representative. This brand is a product of the United States.
What is a Mentor Breast Prosthesis?
As mentioned before, in general, breast prostheses are divided into two categories: saline prostheses (saline) and gel prostheses (silicone). Both prostheses are impermeable and made of silicone. Saline prostheses are filled with saline. Gel prostheses are also filled with silicone.
The difference in the appearance of these two types of prostheses is also in the breast position. Saline prostheses are a little stiff. But the gel prosthesis looks more natural.
Mentor breast prosthesis brand products
Mentor brand products are the following three products.
Read this article to know more details about breast prosthesis types and brands.
Breast Augmentation Alternatives
Fat Grafting for Breast Augmentation in Toronto
Fat grafting procedure for breast augmentation, also called fat transfer breast augmentation, is one of the best breast augmentation alternatives. But every person who would like to have this procedure should be a good candidate for that.
Fat grafting, fat transfer, or fat injection is a procedure that transfers the fat of an area of the body to another to improve or augment the site where the fat is injected. This procedure includes liposuction to extract adipose fat and reinject it to the area which needs improvement.
To learn more about this procedure, check the article “Breast Fat Transfer; The Benefits of Breast Augmentation With Fat Injections“ or the Fat Grafting procedure page.
Other non-surgical breast augmentation methods are some good breast augmentation alternatives. You can check them all in this article.
External Breast Augmentation
If you do not intend to have surgery and use internal breast prostheses, another solution is to use external breast prostheses that do not require surgery. However, in some cases, external breast prostheses cause skin sensitization, itching, sweating, and a feeling of warmth. There is a possibility that these breast prostheses may fall off. However, external breast augmentation is the fastest way to enlarge and fill the breast’s outer space.
Breast Augmentation in Toronto, Ontario
Grand Genesis Plastic Surgery in Toronto has experienced surgeons in breast augmentation and other procedures. To find a qualified surgeon for breast augmentation in Toronto. You can book a free consultation with Grand Genesis Plastic Surgery in Toronto right now & check their history and academic backgrounds.