What is Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty, commonly known as abdominal cosmetic surgery, is a surgery that is performed to remove excess skin, scars, skin cracks, and fat from the abdomen.
And sometimes to tighten the abdominal muscles.
All people can treat their large, convex abdomen. Tummy tuck surgery is a method that can be performed at any age.
These issues occur for various reasons such as aging, obesity and weight loss, and multiple deliveries.
- Loosening of the skin
- accumulation of fat
- cracks in the skin
- and scars
In Tummy tuck surgery, the extra fat is removed and the abdominal muscles are sutured with a special technique.
Everybody can have a flat abdomen. As a result of the operation, the operation site will remain in the lower abdomen and will remain under the bikini or underwear.
Tummy Tuck surgery (Abdominoplasty) is a cosmetic surgery procedure that can treat abdominal deformity in the form of accumulation of excess fat, convex abdomen, sagging skin, and cracks in the abdominal area which has adverse effects on physical and mental health. These defects that disrupt the beauty of the abdomen are always discussed in daily life.
The abdominal deformity is associated with many factors. The main factors are:
- Hormonal changes,
- constant sitting,
- postpartum processes,
- genetic predisposition,
- weight loss,
- intermittent weight gain
Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck is a surgical procedure to remove cosmetic problems with effective results in the abdomen. Loose abdominal muscles become stronger after surgery, and sagging skin that also has cracks, as well as excess fat, is removed to create a flat, firm, young abdomen with a beautiful appearance.
Why does the abdomen become convex?
The curvature of the abdomen occurs when the abdominal muscles relax and lose their elasticity and separate. The muscles under the fat in the abdomen separate and lose their elasticity, especially during pregnancy. At that time the internal volume of the abdomen increases. This condition causes a convex appearance in the tummy.
How to form a crack in the skin
The softness of the skin of the abdomen is very significant in terms of beauty. In people who become obese and thin regularly, and during the pregnancy of women, the skin of the tummy is stretched and loses its quality and becomes thin. By the end of pregnancy, the skin of the thinned abdomen appears and cracks appear. Besides the tummy, cracks appear in the breast area during breastfeeding. It causes some problems in the appearance of the body.
Effects of pregnancy on Abdominoplasty
In some women, changes in the body’s metabolic mechanism that occurs during pregnancy and the increase in fat in the abdomen and buttocks become permanent. Because the fats in these areas are stubborn. They are hardly resistant to diet and exercise. These are the fats that do not burn easily. This adipose tissue causes sagging in the abdomen.
How does a big, fat tummy affect your health?
Accumulation of fat, overweight, and fat formation in the abdomen pave the way for health problems. These problems lead to high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, respiratory disorders, premature aging, and quality of life due to sedentary lifestyle, followed by psychological problems resulting in decreased self-esteem, problems in private life, feelings of inattention, reduced motivation. And the inability to behave fine in social life arises.
Can pregnant women have a tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty)?
Tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty is not a barrier to pregnancy. This surgery is safe for women who want to be pregnant. It is significant to determine the pregnancy calendar according to the postoperative period of infertility.
Recovery takes 6 to 12 months, so pregnancy should be at least one year after surgery.
However, it is recommended that a person have an abdominoplasty after the last pregnancy. Because if she becomes pregnant after the surgery, they cause the skin to loosen again and the sutured muscles will open due to stretching.
Eligible for abdominoplasty surgery
– People with shiny skin and healthy appearance
– People who are not obese
– People who can not get rid of belly fat despite exercising
– Those who have loose and sagging skin in the abdomen and cracks
– Those who have a large tummy without childbirth
– Those who have loose, sagging and cracked skin in the belly due to childbirth.
– Those who are overweight and accumulate fat only in the abdomen, although they are suitable in size
– Those who do not have a health problem that prevents surgery
– Those who do not intend to become pregnant shortly after surgery
Abdominoplasty for obesity
Unfortunately, the number of fat people is increasing every day. Irregular and unhealthy diet and a more sedentary lifestyle are the two principal causes of this problem.
The tummy is one of the areas affected by obesity. Obesity manifests itself in the accumulation of excess fat, overweight, and obesity. Obesity treatment is significant for obese patients before any abdominoplasty. Because obesity is a health problem rather than a beauty problem, before surgery, it is better to remove excess skin and fat and use lipolysis or liposuction techniques to remove stubborn fat.
Tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty is performed based on the level of obesity and is applied for appropriate patients. This surgery is performed to remove the sagging skin in the abdomen after treating obesity.
Can liposuction and fat removal be performed together with Tummy tuck surgery?
If excess fat is in the upper abdomen and the lower back, liposuction with abdominoplasty together is possible by the surgeon. In terms of beauty, the belly and waist will be in harmony.
Is tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty risky?
With special precautions, potential risks in abdominoplasty can be eliminated. The most significant risk is an infection at the surgical site, the accumulation of contaminated fluid and blood in the abdomen. These risks will be eliminated by antibiotics. In the early stages of recovery after surgery, the tummy is stretched and this may cause the sutures to rupture. In this case, the wound is sutured again.
Design of a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty operation
The plastic surgeon makes a surgical design based on the amount of fat accumulation, the amount of sagging skin, and the looseness of whether the overweight and fat accumulation is only in the abdominal area. The surgery flattens the abdomen while slightly narrowing the lower back. If there is an overweight problem in the belly, other different treatment options will be considered.
Things to do before the tummy tuck surgery
– If the patient has already had abdominal surgery, the surgeon should pay attention to it when assessing the situation
– In cases of smoking, which delays wound healing due to slowed blood flow, the patient should refrain from smoking from 3 weeks before to 3 weeks after surgery.
– In this operation, the skin must become thinner so that it can smooth and stretch it as much as desired. Therefore, the patient loses weight before the surgery so that the skin can become thinner.
– Medications that may adversely affect surgery should not be used. Blood thinners should be stopped two weeks before surgery.
-Menstrual time in women should not interfere with surgery time.
What are the relative contraindications to abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery?
- Wound healing disorders
- Immune disorder
- Taking anticoagulants
- Significant history of clotting in the deep veins of the leg or lungs
- Intestinal or bladder dysfunction
- Venous insufficiency or lower limb lymphedema
- Significant medical problems include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, renal failure, anemia.
What method is used in tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty)?
There are two types of tummy tuck surgery. Mini-Abdominoplasty and Complete Abdominoplasty. The process that works best is preferable based on the severity and location of the problem in the abdomen.
Determinants of a complete abdominoplasty
The determining factor in Complete Abdominoplasty is that the problem is in the upper abdomen and the abdominal muscles are too far apart. The operation is performed by making a vertical incision between the upper abdomen and groin or a horizontal incision. The problem is treated by removing loose skin, crack lines, hanging excess fat, and excess tissue in the upper or lower abdomen. The abdominal muscles tighten. The upper abdomen is pulled down and sutured. The operation is performed within 3 to 4 hours under general anesthesia.
Determinants of mini-abdominoplasty
The patient undergoes abdominoplasty surgery:
- If the problem is in the umbilical region,
- If there is sagging, lines due to cracking and moderate relaxation,
- If the abdominal muscles are not loose and are not separated,
- If there is no sagging and sagging in the upper umbilical region
The mini-abdominoplasty will not affect the umbilicus. Excess fat and skin under the navel, which causes stretch marks to loosen and sag, and loosen and separate the abdominal muscles, are removed to give the abdomen a firm structure. The surgery will be performed under general anesthesia within 1.5 hours.
How long after abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery can the patient start his daily activities? And how long after surgery can he start exercising?
If abdominoplasty surgery involves the placement (or pleating) of the abdominal wall muscles, it is forbidden to do strenuous exercise or lift heavy objects for two months.
Normal activities can be done after 10 to 14 days. Driving is prohibited for 2 to 3 weeks.
How is the patient sleeping, resting, and walking after abdominoplasty surgery?
– During the first two weeks after the operation, the patient should use a high pillow under the head during sleep (30 to 40 degrees) and the legs should be gathered from the hip joint to the abdomen.
– Sleeping on the tummy is prohibited. Rotation to the sides with the legs together is unobstructed.
– For 10 to 14 days after the operation, when walking, the patient should be bent.
How long after the operation can the patient travel by air?
Air travel is unrestricted after three weeks. If the patient is from abroad, it is recommended that he be present in the therapeutic country for at least one month after the operation.
How to dress after abdominoplasty surgery?
It is recommended that the patient wear loose clothing during the postoperative period so that they do not have problems, especially when dressing.
What are the dietary guidelines after abdominoplasty surgery?
After the patient is fully conscious and does not vomit, the use of liquids such as water and fruit juice is unrestricted, and in case of tolerance, the use of compote and softened biscuits is unrestricted. In the night after the operation, eating light foods such as soup or chicken is unrestricted. From the day after the operation, a normal diet (low to medium volume) is unobstructed, but overeating should be avoided.
Other healing processes after a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty
The patient will regain consciousness a few hours after the operation
– After removing the drain, the patient will be discharged. The drain is removed on the second or third day after surgery.
On the first days, avoid movements that put pressure on the abdomen and do not lift heavy objects.
– The operation site in the abdomen should be bandaged. And after removing the bandage, the patient wears an abdominal corset for an average of 6 weeks.
– Painkillers are used at the operation site and for pain. This mild pain will disappear within 3 to 4 days.
– To prevent infection, the patient uses antibiotics for seven days
-In the first week, the patient should avoid lying on his back
– On the fourth day, the patient can take a bath for the first time
-The stitches are removed by a plastic surgeon ten days after the operation
– Usually, the patient returns to work two weeks after the surgery. In mini-abdominoplasty, this period is five days.
– Up to 3 months after surgery, the patient should refrain from strenuous exercise
-Swelling at the surgical site will disappear completely after 6 months
– The abdomen will improve totally after six months and will find a new shape. In mini-abdominoplasty, the wounds will heal after six months. The patient will find a flat, beautiful, and natural abdomen.
– The operation site that will be hidden under the underwear will find a normal skin color after the twelfth month.
Choosing a surgeon in Toronto
If you decide to have cosmetic abdominal surgery, we recommend that you only go to surgeons who have good training and skills. These surgeons will talk to you about possible methods that can be done for you and produce the best results.
Before the operation, you should also talk to your surgeon about when and how to pay for the operation. Abdominal cosmetic surgery is not an emergency surgery for anyone. If you feel that the surgeon does not want to give you enough time to think about the operation, it is best to look for another surgeon.